A Little Wardensville History...
Originally named Trout Run, Wardensville was
chartered in Virginia in 1832 and later incorporated in West Virginia in 1879.
Wardensville takes its name from the town's first merchant William Wallace Warden.
George Washington laid off land here for Warden on November 11, 1749.
Warden built a stockade fort near which members of his family were killed by Indians in 1758, when the fort burned. Wardensville was also a scene of skirmishes in 1862-1863.
The population center of the United States was in present West Virginia four times as it moved westward across the nation: near Wardensville in 1820; at Smoke hole in 1830: west of Buckhannon in 1840; near Burning Springs in 1850.